Tips & Tricks for Spring Gardening
Discover spring gardening essentials with Down to Earth, a free interactive gardening event from UBC Botanical Garden’s Friends of the Garden. Learn how to grow food, herbs, shrubs and trees in small containers. Watch demonstrations and find out how to attract birds and bees to your garden. Got gardening questions? Get the answers from our Hortline Master Gardeners, FOG Seedy Growers and Greenhouse Tenders.
- Garden admission is FREE all day long!
- Special event pricing for Greenheart TreeWalk (not applicable for field trips or tour rates)
- Special offer: receive a two-year membership for the price of a one-year membership
This fundraising event, organized by the Friends of the Garden, supports UBC Botanical Garden.
Parking is limited. We recommend that you walk or take transit! The Garden is serviced by the #49 UBC/Metrotown bus or the #C20 UBC Shuttle. Please check the Translink website for up-to-date bus schedules.
No pets are allowed in the Garden (service animals excepted). Please leave them at home.
- Demonstrations & workshops:
12:30 - 1:00 pm: Planting Seeds
1:00 - 1:30 pm: Container Planting
1:30 - 2:00 pm: Keeping Pests from Bird Feeders
2:00 - 2:30 pm: Planting Seeds
2:30 - 3:00 pm: Container Planting
3:00 - 3:30 pm: Keeping Pests from Bird Feeders
- Food & herb gardening advice
- All you need to know about birds from Wild Birds Unlimited, including how to keep pests from bird food
- Certified Beemaster Brian Campbell will showcase various types of bees, as well as how to set up a bee and bumble bee house
- Sedum wreath workshop (starts at 10am; registration required)
- Botanical Watercolours workshop (starts at 10am; continues May 14; registration required)
- UBC Farm
- Children’s area - kids can make paper pots and plant sunflower seeds
UBC Botanical Garden
6804 SW Marine Drive @ 16th Avenue
6 responses to “Down to Earth 2017”
Hi Claire – the event runs throughout the hours of 12 noon and 4 pm. The workshops and tours are spaced throughout the day, so it is no problem for you to show up at 2:30 pm and enjoy the afternoon.
Hi, do we need to be at the event for a midday start? We have other commitments and would not be able to arrive until nearer 14:30. Would this be possible?
Hi Kim – We have two handicapped parking spaces available. Hope you & your Mom enjoy the event!
Is there handicapped parking available, and how many spots do you have? I want to bring my Mom for the event, but we will have to use a car.
Hi Anne – for the Down to Earth event, it is free and there is no registration required. However we do have two workshops that day that require you to register: (1) the Sedum Wreath Workshop – you can register here, or (2) the Botanical Watercolours workshop – you can register here. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604.827.3907 if you have any questions or problems with the online registration. Hope to see there you!
Can I registe/, save two spots for this or is it first come first served.
Names ; Anne D