Get to know UBC Botanical Garden with exclusive tours and seasonal training. Join us to discover and share the natural treasures of UBC Botanical Garden. As a UBC Botanical Garden Volunteer, you have opportunities to gain knowledge, share your skills, meet other nature and plant enthusiasts, and meet people of all ages. Our most active time is April through October. From students to seniors, we welcome all ages and abilities to come to the Garden to make a meaningful contribution to this amazing place. We have opportunities for many talents and interests and training is provided. We look forward to seeing you in the Garden.
We host seasonal orientations to share available volunteer opportunities and welcome new volunteers to the Garden. Volunteer opportunities may only be available seasonally. Check back for dates for our next volunteer orientation.
Please note that UBC Botanical Garden does not offer planting or gardening opportunities for volunteers.
This is a specialized group of volunteers interested in learning and working together to support the Garden. This is an advanced program with special training and unique opportunities to support and plan events, attend lectures and work on horticultural projects in the Garden. Events such as Apple Festival, and Wreath Making as well as Committee and Shop activities keep this robust group active year round. A significant commitment in hours and interest level is required to join this established group of volunteers.
As a FOG volunteer you will have the opportunity to:
- Increase your botanical knowledge at weekly meetings with guest speakers
- Contribute to committees and participate in a wide range of duties
- Make a meaningful impact as part of a historic and invaluable volunteer group
Garden guides provide educational tours for visitors. We offer preschool to university level programs as well as drop in, garden club, community group and senior tour visits. We have hosted groups of 10-100 guests with multiple Garden Guides. Training takes place in April/May.
As a Garden Guide volunteer you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn from horticultural experts on private training tours
- Gain access to staff and library resources to expand your own knowledge
- Improve your public speaking skills and gain confidence in sharing information
Supporting the Gatehouse Admission during peak seasons, our volunteer greeters provide a friendly function for guests arriving to the Garden. Handing out maps, answering basic questions and helping direct traffic is a great way to volunteer and gain valuable tourism and service experience. Greeters are encouraged to attend free staff tours to become more knowledgeable about our amazing Garden and training is provided.
As a Garden Greeter volunteer you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn and practice customer service skills
- Interact with a variety of Garden visitors from all over the world
- Share outreach information with guests and/or represent the Garden at outreach events
- Go on complimentary tour
Every year, the Garden hosts unique events that require volunteers to help out for long table dinners, festivals, lectures or special sales. We need volunteers to check registration, direct guests, and be a friendly go-to for our visitors. Event support volunteers may also help garden workshop instructors set up their classes, take attendance, and distribute and collect feedback forms.
As an Event Support volunteer you will have the opportunity to:
- Attend and engage with Garden guests at unique events and workshops
- Learn behind-the-scenes organizational skills
- Increase social interactions and enjoy satisfying teamwork
You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions. Thank you for your interest in supporting the programs we offer.