October 19 & 20, 2019, 11 am – 4 pm
Our 28th Year!
A family event for all ages, UBC Apple Festival celebrates one of BC’s favourite fruits. From learning about the diversity of apples to tasting rare and unusual varieties, Apple Festival is a great opportunity to discover more about this delicious fruit.
Admission is $5 (cash only) for adults; children 12 and under free.* Apple Festival admission includes Garden admission.
*Membership cards or passes for UBC Botanical Garden Members, UNA members, affiliated organizations and Groupons are not accepted in lieu of the $5 admission fee.
This fundraising is organized by the Friends of the Garden. All proceeds support UBC Botanical Garden.
This event aims to be zero waste. No pets are allowed in the Garden (except service animals). Please leave them at home.
Apples & Apple Trees Available
This year, we are expecting to receive and sell conventional apple varieties, heritage, and “tried and true.” We will also have approximately 1600 pounds of pears (up to 9 varieties), and 25 pounds of Quince.
2019 list of apples available for sale.
2018 list of apple trees available for sale. 2019 list will be updated in early October.
We recommend you arrive early. Some varieties of apples sell out quickly. A list of apples and trees available for sale will be posted in October.
Friends of the Garden Apple Tasting Tent
One of the most popular activities at the Apple Festival is the Friends of the Garden Apple Tasting Tent. For an additional $5 (cash only), curious event goers can taste a huge variety of new and heritage BC-grown apples.
- up to 40 varieties of new and heritage apples grown in British Columbia
- Friends of the Garden’s Apple Booklet ($5 cash only), available for purchase at the event, lists the history, propagation needs and features of more than 100 varieties of apples
- Tasting sessions from 11:00 am to 3:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday
- Tickets $5 (cash only), available outside the tasting tent
Please note that not all the apples in the tasting tent will be available for sale due to the very limited availability of some heritage varieties.
2019 list of apples available for sampling in the Tasting Tent.
Activities & Displays
Kids can engage in a number of activities in the Children’s Area, ranging from face painting, games and storytelling. They can learn about biodiversity, the environment, bees and other pollinators and more from our outreach partners. And don’t miss everybody’s favourite—the Leaf Pile!
Best Apple Display in Canada
Also at the event is The Vancouver Island-based BC Fruit Testers Association, who hosts a physical display of the nearly 200 apple varieties that are still grown in British Columbia.
- Demonstrations of grafting and cider-pressing
- Apple ID – try to stump the experts with apple varieties from your garden (hint: bring along six apples from your unidentified tree)
- Master Gardeners will be available to discuss apple and fruit tree-related diseases and pest management for those seeking problem-solving advice
- Learn all about bees and pollination
Attractions at the Garden
Be sure to spend some time exploring our beautiful Botanical Garden:
- Take a “walk in the trees” on the Greenheart TreeWalk – special event pricing in effect!
- The Shop in the Garden features an exciting array of apple-related merchandise as well as tools, books and gifts
- Our Garden Centre has a wide variety of fruit and ornamental trees and hundreds of plants for your garden
Food Fair & Crafts
This year’s Food Fair promises to have something for everyone! From apple pie to hot coffee, chocolate, pizza, cookies, popcorn and much more, you’ll be sure to have fun sampling all of the different offerings.
You can also discover great finds from our crafters, including books, soaps, pottery and stationery.
A variety of talented entertainers keep the family amused, including family-friendly shows on both the Great Lawn Main Stage and the West Entrance Small Stage.
Click here to see the Apple Festival 2019 lineup.
Plan Your Visit
There is NO parking at UBC Botanical Garden during Apple Festival. Please park at the West Parkade or Fraser River Parkade. There is a free shuttle bus from the UBC Campus West Parkade and Fraser River Parkade beginning at 9:30 am and running every 15 minutes. The last shuttle leaves the Festival at 4:45 pm. The Garden is serviced by the #49 UBC/Metrotown bus and the UBC Shuttles #68 UBC Exchange/Lower Mall. Please check the Translink website for up-to-date bus schedules.
A bike valet will be available at the main entrance.
Join us in our 28th year of celebrating the apple! Events like Apple Festival wouldn’t be possible without our volunteers. Help with selling apples and trees, apple cider, apple pie; the apple display, music and more. If you are interested in being a part of this year’s festival, visit our registration form.