Bio and CV
Dr. Tara Moreau is the Associate Director of Sustainability and Community Programs at UBC Botanical Garden where she oversees educational programs, sustainability initiatives and community outreach. With the goal of advancing local and global sustainability, Tara designs and contributes to programs and partnerships such as the Sustainable Communities Field School, Grow Green Guide, and CBIRD.
Tara has over 15 years of working to advance local and global food systems. She is a long-standing member of the Vancouver Food Policy Council and has been a board member at SPEC a Vancouver-based environmental NGO for over 10 years. In 2012, Tara completed a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship with the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions through a joint appointment at UBC and Kwantlen Polytechnic University. She holds a PhD in Plant Science from the Faculty of Land and Food Systems (UBC, 2010), an MSc in Agriculture (Dalhousie University, 2004) and a BSc in Biology & Environmental Science (Bishops University, 2000).
She has worked internationally as a consultant with the UN-Food and Agriculture Organization and her publications, presentations and educational programs relate to climate change, food systems, sustainability education, agriculture, biodiversity, pest management and food policy across multiple jurisdictions.
- Khoury, C. K., Greene, S. L., Krishnan, S., Miller, Allison J., and Moreau,T. A Road Map for Conservation, Use and Public Engagement around North America’s Crop Wild Relatives and Wild Utilized Plants. Crop Science – Special Submissions: Celebrating Crop Diversity: Connecting Agriculture, Public Gardens and Science. Alliance of Crop, Soil and Environmental Science Societies. American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America. Acsess Digital Library
- Moreau, T., and Speight, D. 2019. Cooking up Diverse Diets: Advancing Biodiversity in Food and Agriculture through Collaborations with Chefs. Crop Science – Special Submissions: Celebrating Crop Diversity: Connecting Agriculture, Public Gardens and Science. Alliance of Crop, Soil and Environmental Science Societies. American Society of Agronomy Crop Science Society of America. Acsess Digital Library.
- Zelenika, Moreau, Lane and Zhao. 2018. Sustainability education in a botanical garden promotes environmental knowledge, attitudes, intentions and willingness to act. Environmental Education Research
- Zelenika, Moreau and Zhao. 2018. Toward zero waste events: Reducing contamination in waste streams with volunteer assistance. Waste Management
- Moreau, T.L., K. Mullinix and J. Moore. 2012. Mitigating Agriculture Greenhouse Gas Emissions: A Review of Scientific Information for Food System Planning. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development. 2 (2) 237-246.
- Moreau, T.L., K. Mullinix and J. Moore. 2012. Planning for Climate Action in British Columbia, Canada: Putting Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Mitigation on Local Government Agendas. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development. 2 (2) 247-259.
- Moreau, T.L., T. Adams, K. Mullinix, A. Fallick, and P. M. Condon. 2012. Recommended Practices for Climate-Smart Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture. Sustainable Food Planning – Evolving Theory and Practice. A. Viljoen and J.S.C. Wiskerke, eds. Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Moreau, T.L. and M.B. Isman. 2012. Combining reduced-risk products, trap crops and yellow sticky traps for greenhouse whitefly (Trialeurodes vaporariorum) management on sweet peppers (Capsicum annum). Crop Protection. 34, 42-46.
- Moreau, T.L. and M.B. Isman. 2011. Trapping whiteflies? A comparison of greenhouse whitefly (Trialeurodes vaporariorum) responses to trap crops and yellow sticky traps. Pest Management Science. 67, 408-413.
- Moreau, T. Warman, P.R. and Hoyle, J. (2006). An evaluation of companion planting and botanical extracts as alternative pest controls for the Colorado potato beetle. Biological Agriculture and Horticulture. 23(4): 351-370.
- Moreau, T. 2018. Food Gardens Growing Global Goals: Setting the Table for Sustainable Development. Roots. Botanic Gardens Conservation International Education Review. 15 (2) Nov. 14-16.
- Moreau and Novy. 2018. Public Education and Outreach Opportunities for Crop Wild Relatives in North America. Springer Link Open Access
- Hodgson and Moreau. 2018. Urban and Regional Planning for Biodiversity and Food Systems. CRC Press.
- Lane, O. and T. Moreau. 2012. SPEC Annual Report 2012
- Moreau, T. and K. Hodgson. 2012. Delta Community-Based Farm District: Planning Southlands as a Regionally Significant Model for Metro Vancouver.
- FAO. (2012). Urban Consumers Factsheet. FAO, Rome, June 2012.
- FAO. (2007). Papers Submitted to the International Conference on Organic Agriculture and Food Security (ed. by Tara Moreau). Rome, Italy, 3-5 May 2007.
- Moreau, T. (2004). What the heck is Bt? The agricultural and ecological credentials of a bacterial bug beater. Rural Delivery, 29(5): 11-13.
- Moreau, Tara. (2004). Questionable Companions: Mainstay of organic pest control won’t deter Colorado potato beetles. Rural Delivery, 29(3): 16-17.