Our information line is open to the public year round, seven days a week, and answered every Wednesday between 12 and 3 p.m. Questions are received by telephone, email, mail, and in-person at the Campbell Building at UBC Botanical Garden.
Questions range from plant identification to diagnosing pests and diseases, to gardening and landscape advice. The correct identification of a plant problem is necessary in order to make an accurate and appropriate diagnosis and management plan.
Most problems can be identified through photos and descriptions. For an accurate diagnosis when you leave a message or email, please provide the following information:
- The caller’s name, telephone number and /or email address
- The nature of the question in detail
- The name of the plant (common name or botanical name)
- Cultural information if pertinent to a disease problem (for example, watering history, location in the garden such as shade/sun etc.)
- Samples left at the UBC Garden office will be examined the Wednesday following delivery. Please ensure it is protected between two pieces of paper toweling and sealed in a zip lock plastic bag with accompanying information and your name and phone number or email.
How to reach us
Phone: 604.822.5858 – Please leave a detailed message.
Mail: UBC Botanical Garden, Attn: Hortline, 6804 SW Marine Drive, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1A4
In-person: drop off a sample at the address above to the reception desk in the Campbell building. Mark all samples to the attention of the hortline. Hortline volunteers work Wednesday between 12 p.m and 3 p.m.
About the Hortline
Since 1981 the UBC Botanical Garden has provided horticultural advice to people from British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest. The Hortline is run by a small group of dedicated volunteer FOGs (Friends of the UBC Garden), who are also Master Gardeners. We are a curious group of garden enthusiasts who enjoy the challenge of problem-solving and researching horticulture questions of a diverse nature.
Alternative option for advice
Another way to ask questions and seek advice is through our forums.